Thursday, October 3, 2013

Getting to know Isaac and other lessons for a first-time mom

Here are some of the things that I've learned and love about Isaac:
 
Isaac likes to eat. You don’t want to get between that man and his bottle.



Isaac likes his bath. I think this picture highlights his rolls particularly well. Can you have a six pack on your arms?



Isaac likes to read books.



Isaac likes a well caffeinated mother. Our first coffee shop outing.



Isaac likes the pool (kind of). 
 



Isaac is happiest when being held.



Other lessons for a first-time mom:

Isaac doesn’t show many effects of living in an orphanage for the first five and a half months of his life, however, there was one behaviour in particular that stood out to me as unusual for a baby Isaac’s age. Isaac was amazing at putting himself to sleep. We would simply put him in his travel crib with his little bunny and he would talk himself to sleep. You will notice that these last two sentences are in the past tense. Part of attachment building is developing the bond that your baby knows you are a person that he can trust and look to for comfort. Isaac now knows that it’s way better to fall asleep in either his mom’s or dad’s arms; falling asleep alone with a bunny – not so much. I know that I should be thankful that he has been able to so quickly start attaching to us, but a small part of me (I feel guilty even writing this) misses the easy to bed Isaac.

Similar to the experience of wearing a mask while working with a patient on droplet or airborne precautions, I inevitably get an itchy face while holding a sleeping Isaac. Should you scratch that itch? The answer is no, most definitely no.

Having a baby is a sure fire way to improve your bicep strength – who needs boot camp?

I have had moments of extreme guilt that I’m not following the recommendations of the “experts” in getting my baby to sleep. I’ve realized and have been encouraged by friends that experts are meant to be ignored at times.

I’ve learned that anything that impedes your baby’s sleep is to be hated. Our travel bed is much too low and Isaac wakes up easily when putting him down. All the hard earned effort of getting him to sleep is wasted in that 3 seconds of slow motion lowering into the bed. I’ve also learned that I would probably pay anything for things that help a baby sleep. The Ergo carrier – definitely worth more than we paid for it. Now, if I could just find a way to sleep at the same time as walking – that’s something that I would pay money for.
0030

Laundry is a way of life, especially with a baby that spits up a lot.

I often wondered before how new mothers had no time to shower. It wasn’t a judgment, more of a question – how is this possible? I’ve realized that it’s not so much that I don’t have time, it’s that in my tired state with the knowledge that I’ll soon be covered in baby spit up, I wonder what’s the point. I’m happy to inform everyone though that I’ve still been showering regularly. I realized that the bags under my eyes are less noticeable if my hair is clean.

I’m learning to be gentle with myself. Rome wasn’t built in a day and neither were mothering skills. Fortunately, Isaac won’t remember the many screw-ups we’ve already made, but hopefully he’ll feel the love we have for him as we try to figure things out and navigate the scary and wonderful world of parenting.



1 comment:

  1. Erin, I just couldn't be happier for you. And I so thank you for including me on your list--my heart is full for you.

    As a mom and an early years nurse, I hope you won't mind me making two recommendations: abandon the guilt and ignore the "experts". Both are a distraction from the pleasures of being a mom and the perfect naturalness that you're developing by following your own instincts.

    Will he still need you to soothe him to sleep when he's in university? Probably not. Will you actually MISS rocking him to sleep? Absolutely so. You're already so good at this. And there's no rule book.

    It's such a pleasure and a gift to watch you on your journey.

    Many, many warm wishes,

    Beth

    ReplyDelete