Friday, January 3, 2014

Highs and Lows



  This week has been a week of highs and lows. It’s been absolutely amazing having Markus here. Watching him bond with Isaac has been incredible. The two of them have so much fun together. I’ve been enjoying sharing our daily routine with Markus and also having help at night. We’ve resumed sleep training and already we’re seeing improvements. The other night I was able to sleep from 9:30pm-4:30am (Markus woke up with Isaac a couple of times and I didn’t even hear him). I felt great the next day. Isaac has been sleeping a lot better as well and not waking up so much which has made us all happier and feeling much more rested. 

First shoulder ride.

Bubbles are so much fun.

  Isaac has become a crawling machine and it’s been wonderful (and scary at times) to watch him explore his world with his new found freedom. It seems like babies have an intrinsic sense of all the dangerous places in the house and make a bee-line straight for whatever they determine to be off-limits. For example, the heavy metal bars on our doors are great for swinging back and forth. I’m scared he’s going to hit himself in the face so now the bars are secured when he’s awake. All power cords, the sharp bolts that the bars are attached to, the garbage can, and power outlets have all become extremely interesting and something that Isaac feels he needs to lick, bite, or touch. Yesterday, he pulled himself up to standing for the first time. That he felt the need to do this in the slippery bath is just par for the course with his danger seeking behaviour. I’m trying to manage my fear of head injuries with the desire to not smother him with too much worry, but in some cases, I feel like a helmet could be really useful. 

Isaac trying to climb out of the bath.

  Markus has been taking Isaac in the carrier for our walks which I really feel has helped with their bonding and also with my back pain. At last weigh in he was 22 pounds but this was a month ago and I can only imagine that he’s at least a couple pounds heavier now. Our little man is not so little and my back has been feeling it, so it’s been great to share the load with Markus. We’ve also been testing out our stroller and Isaac seems to like it, but I miss seeing his face when he’s in the carrier. 

Enjoying our morning walk.

  On Monday, we all went to visit my favorite people at Immigration (note the sarcasm). I was shocked and pleasantly surprised that my three-month visiting permit had actually been processed! It made dealing with the rude and unfriendly behaviour so much easier. On the very positive side, I never have to go back to Immigration (unless for some reason I’m still in the country by March 16th). This felt like something to celebrate for sure.
  Finally, today, January 3rd, is the final day of our three month fostering period with Isaac and his 9-month birthday! In some ways, I cannot believe how time has flown by. In other ways, it’s felt like a very long time and I’m more than ready to come home. More than anything, we are ready to give up the label of foster parents and become Isaac’s official adoptive parents.  

I'm 9-months old today!

Sophie celebrating with a beer. Isaac's concerned - he didn't think she was legal.

I'm so happy to be back together with my wonderful husband.

  Which leads me to the lows of this week, we still have no word on when our court date is. We’re also still waiting to hear about this missing police report and have heard that the police officer responsible for the report is now working in a different district. I’ve been trying for the past three weeks to make contact with our social workers to find out what the plan is for getting this report. I finally spoke with her yesterday only to be told that I should be patient, let them do their job, and if I push, it will be difficult for me. First of all I didn’t appreciate the not so veiled threat that if I continue to call them, they basically won’t do their job for Isaac and my family. Secondly, I feel like I’ve been more than patient and we were promised our court date a month and a half ago. Thirdly, if I don’t “encourage” them into action, it feels like nothing happens. So, yeah, this was a low for me. To top off the lows for the week, I found a large cockroach crawling in the sheets just after I had gotten out of our bed and was making it. Yuck!  

An unwelcome bed-mate. Super scary, especially when you have a bug phobia.

  When we started this adoption process, there were two songs that when I first heard them on the radio made me cry. The first one was “I Will Wait” by Mumford and Sons. While I’m sure they didn’t mean for it to be an adoption song, some of the lyrics really spoke to what Markus and I had been going through. This song has become my anthem through this long and difficult process.
And I’ll kneel down
Wait for now
And I’ll kneel down
Know my ground
And I will wait, I will wait for you
And I will wait, I will wait for you
So I’ll be bold
As well as strong
And use my head along side my heart
Cause I will wait, I will wait for you…
                        I Will Wait
                                    Mumford and Sons
Yesterday we were listening to this album (Isaac really likes Mumford and Sons). This song came on and I looked at my son. After having such a low day, I realized yet again that our trials and tribulations are all worth it. He’s more than worth it.
  The second song that made me cry is “Home” by Phillips Phillips. I can’t wait until this is my new anthem and the waiting is over.
Hold on, to me as we go
As we roll down this unfamiliar road
And although this wave is stringing us along
Just know you’re not alone
Cause I’m gonna make this place your home
Settle down, it’ll all be clear
Don’t pay no mind to the demons
They fill you with fear
The trouble it might drag you down
If you get lost, you can always be found
Just know you’re not alone
Cause I’m gonna make this place your home…
                                    Home
                                                Phillip Phillips
I’m looking so forward to finally making Vancouver Isaac’s home.

Happiness is.... Isaac's smile.

No comments:

Post a Comment