Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Finding Tranquility


  In Vancouver, walks with my dog, Gibson, are a twice daily occurrence. My afternoon walk in particular is a time for my brain to unwind and relax after a busy day. Living in the city, I sometimes feel like I just need to get away and there is nothing better to cure that feeling than a walk in the forests of North Van. Being here in Lusaka, I’ve been struggling a bit with not having that escape. My mom and I have been walking twice daily, but our route has been down a somewhat busy road lined with walls and gates. I’m not sure why we didn’t think to go the other way, turn left instead of right, but as creatures of habit, we kept up our well trod route. Except that one day we decided to find out what was in the other direction. Well, we’ve discovered the Shaughnessy of Lusaka. There are still lots of walls and gates, but the streets are tree-lined providing lovely shade and there are lots of beautiful gardens to look at along the road. Also, the gates and walls are a lot nicer with more variety. Sometimes, you can get a small view of what’s behind the wall which I always find really interesting. It’s been amazing what this has done for our mental state. To have a tranquil place to walk feels like an important discovery for us. One of the things I love best here are all the beautiful flowering trees. The bursts of colour are stunning. I thought I’d share some of the photos from our morning walk. 

Brilliant pink plumeria


I love the delicate leaves of this tree and the beautiful red flowers.

This plant is about 15 ft tall. Things grow big here in Zambia.

The smallest, but loudest guard dogs we've met so far.

No comments:

Post a Comment