Wednesday, November 6, 2013

The “Four P’s” of Sleep Training


One of the things I love best about my job is looking at a process and working with a group of people to find ways to make it better or more efficient. In a leadership course I took, we learned that one of the best ways to communicate and implement change is to use the “Four P’s” – purpose, big picture, plan, and parts to be played. I sometimes find that Managers start sounding the same after attending these leadership courses. I’m not sure how many times I’ve heard the phrases, “My ask is…” or “What I’m hearing is that…”. I usually find this “corporate” language funny and somewhat robotic, but I found the Four P’s to be actually really useful when discussing proposed changes with my department or other departments in the hospital. So, as I was rocking Isaac to sleep today, I started thinking about applying the “Four P’s” to the sleep training that we’ve been attempting. Here it goes:

Purpose: To implement a sleep-training plan for Isaac allowing him to self sooth himself to sleep and stay asleep for longer.

Big Picture: To achieve a well rested baby who has nice long naps and sleeps through the night (I actually think this might be a myth, but I’m still putting it down as my end goal).

Plan: Using the “Sleep Lady” strategy, start with the chair beside the bedside for three nights. Put Isaac to sleep while drowsy, but not fully asleep. Use “sh-sh” sounds and pat back as needed. Only pick up if he is hysterical. After three nights, move the chair halfway to the door and then finally right beside the door for another three nights. Continue “sh-sh” sounds and taper off back patting.

Parts to Be Played:
            Mommy: Follow plan with patience and understanding. Try not to pull hair out in frustration.
            Isaac: Fall asleep (apparently, a very difficult task). I’ve tried explaining to Isaac that never again in his life will he be allowed to sleep so much and that he should take advantage of the opportunity now. He just looked at me and made a raspberry. I don’t think he was convinced.

As I was rocking Isaac to sleep, I also thought about another “P” that really should be included when discussing change – unPredictability. People, especially babies don’t always behave as expected. Patterns that you think are developing can change at a moments notice and you have to adapt. My mom and I were relishing the two hour naps that Isaac had for two mornings in a row several days ago. We hoped that it would continue, but unfortunately, we’re back to 45 minute naps now. Somehow, I think that when I return to work, implementing change within healthcare will seem like a breeze after motherhood. 


A well rested baby equals a happy baby.

No comments:

Post a Comment